">

Monday, October 3, 2011

Seasons In the Sun Post #31


The humidity is gone and the sun is setting lower in the sky.  Another year just flew by and summer did it's final dance.  We have entered our 4th year here in Mobile.  In some ways it seems we've always been here.  Memories of the north seem so faint, except of the people I love and of course, the snow, which I don't love!


Pumpkins are showing up on porches and the Victorian decorations that make the Halloween season in the south so beautiful are popping up everywhere.  For some reason, fall is my time of introspection, my season for awareness of the cycle of time and how fast it is moving.  I'm thinking of this past year and it's special memories.


The funny thing is, as I was choosing photos, I realized there is a ton of things that aren't on my list below.  But the list is written more for me than my readers at this point.

This past summer has been extremely difficult - getting a business off the ground and realizing that my savings is diminishing faster than business is taking off.  Walking through the valley of the shadow of the unknown.  I don't like this place.  It's scary here and I am faced with the fact that my faith in God, in life, and even basic concepts like 1+1=2 (because sometimes it doesn't) are being challenged.

Many business owners who started from the ground up (on their own resources) tell me they've been in this place.  But the bridge part is scary - crossing over from the safe and familiar to a concept or a dream.  It is seeing the end of current resources to grab onto new resources; letting go of one lifeline to accept another.

I'm thankful though, that this journey is here in Mobile, where the suffocating feelings will not be exacerbated by months of low hanging, grey clouds and snow that blocks my vision to what is ahead.  There are seasons here - it's just a matter of what is blooming - and in this precarious time, things definitely need to bloom!

The waters may be rough but in Mobile Bay, the shores are near and the bottom is not far - which can be a good or a bad thing.   But there is always someone or something (see the list below) to make this journey a little easier and to remind me that the sun will shine again.  There is a season for everything - even anxiety and fear.  But in the midst of it all, life will go on.  Parades will happen.  Bands will play.  People will dance.  I will dance - perhaps out of fear - but you can bet, I will dance.

Memories of October 2010 - October 2011
  • New Orleans more than once
  • The neighborhood street party
  • Porch parties and sharing food and wine
  • Big Band Caberet at the Battle House
  • The Black Hat Society Witches party
  • Halloween night neighborhood parties and dinners that start during trick or treating and last into the later hours of the night.
  • Disney World in December - missing our beautiful neighborhood Christmas party
  • St. Augustine
  • New Years Eve and the Moonpie drop
  • Mardi Gras and all it's parades
  • Joe Cain Day - brunch at Stacy's, party at Tracy & Tom's
  • Fat Tuesday - Pancake Breakfast at Doug and Renee Green's, Parades, party at the...house  - thanks to Jaime Betbeze
  • Two days in Pensacola
  • The Order of the Polka Dots Ball
  • Order of Venus Ball
  • Percephones Ball
  • Order of Pheonix Ball
  • The Azalea Trail Run Brunch
  • Our church missions silent auction reception
  • Crawfish Boil
  • Poker Run
  • Monthly Artwalks in Mobile
  • Artwalks in Fairhope 
  • Various sail boat races and listening to the daytime bands watching the boats in the bay
  • Mother's Day in the park
  • Two daughters graduating - one from college, one from high school
  • A trip to New York
  • Dinner at Randy and Arlene's - northern Italian style!
  • Three days in Biloxi
  • Our meet-your-neighbor party





No comments:

Post a Comment

Several people have told me they commented but they are not showing up for me to moderate. Some are coming up and some are not. Please accept my apologies if I have not acknowledged or published yours. Try again or email me at deatonm80@gmail.com and I will copy and paste your comment.