">

Thursday, October 18, 2012

RIP My Sweet Friend Post #38

     For the past two weeks, I kept feeling an urge to message my friend, Jimmie Morris, to chide him to get started working on a book he had been thinking of writing, "Once Upon Paw Paw".  The thought came up many times and I put it off, thinking I'd do it next time I remembered.  I did remember on Monday.  I sent him a message through Facebook that said,

"Hey Jimmie, I have been thinking about your book - Once Upon Paw Paw.  This is a message from the Angel on your shoulder to encourage you to start writing if you haven't already.  I'm sure there are some wonderful stories in that head of yours that need to be shared with your Grand babies and future generations.  I will definitely read it and share it with my family as well.    Mary Beth"

     I don't know if he ever read it or not.  On that same day, he posted this on his page:  

"For all to know:  Mimi shared her most delightful Tailgate Dessert, Chocolate Pie, with Mee Maw, and a small Paw Paw slice.  Then she brought us a Apple Festival Gift of bread loaf with Cheddar Cheese, most delicious to the taste buds.  We love Mimi!" 

     I had only gotten on to send him that message and wasn't on for the rest of the day - I'm limiting my time near any electronic devices - but, after working on a project all day, I popped on late at night.  The first thing I saw was a post from Jimmie's page announcing that he had died in his sleep.  It must have just happened because his post was less than twelve hours before.


Just found this link on Channel 15 about Jimmie

     I had never met Jimmie in person.  He friended me after someone shared my blog post - "Big Band in the Crystal Ball Room".  Jimmie and his wife, whom he called 'Lady Margaret' lived with their children in Georgia in their elderly years - she still does.  But he is known throughout the Gulf Coast as 'The Voice of Mobile'.  During his history here, he MC'd the Senior Bowls, Mardi Gras Tableau's, and was involved in with the Mobile Pops.  I'm certain I don't know half the details of his life here.  But he, like me, loved Mardi Gras and the light, happy spirit of the City of Mobile and the Gulf Coast and he missed it terribly.

     Jimmie sent me a wonderful, encouraging note on FB regarding my blog and he became an avid reader.  We became fast friends and he cheered me on each time he saw that I was doing any of the things he loved to do.    What amazed me most is that Jimmie's sweet spirit was a light to so many people, even those he never met in person.  He was one of those people whose presence on FB was like a person who walks into a room and and the whole room lights up.  He lit up Facebook.

     But I wondered why I felt so compelled to give him that message - or word of encouragement - if he really wasn't going to have the time to write it.  Then I realized, maybe the message was for me.  So many times, we go through life and we leave things left unsaid; things left undone, unfinished business.  We let things hang like a limb being torn off, always thinking we will have the time to fix it, or say those words.  And then one day we wake up - or jump on Facebook - only to find out that the person we needed to share those words with is gone,  our words left unspoken and perhaps a path left empty that could have been taken.

     A year ago, I had felt compelled to befriend a young man.  I had never really talked to him but every time I saw him, something told me he needed a friend.   I knew nothing about his life or situation but I did know his family.   The man had been through a divorce and I was afraid of being misunderstood, though he could have been my kid.  Over and over I felt I should reach out.  Then one day, we found out he had taken his own life and I wondered, 'Would knowing he had a friend have made a difference?  If we developed a friendship would it have put him on a path to live?'  

     I began to wonder how many times kind words, healing words, offers of friendship, redemption, restoration, and encouragement make a life-changing difference for a person.  Yet we hoard them, allowing our own fear or even greed to keep them to ourselves.   I realize now that regardless of my encouragement to Jimmie,  he was not going to have time to write that book.  But one thing I am glad about is that I did send the message - just hours before he passed.  I'm glad I don't have to live with the regret of words I should have said, but were left unspoken.

Rest in Peace my sweet, sweet friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Several people have told me they commented but they are not showing up for me to moderate. Some are coming up and some are not. Please accept my apologies if I have not acknowledged or published yours. Try again or email me at deatonm80@gmail.com and I will copy and paste your comment.