">

Friday, June 21, 2013

Sweet Summer Solstice 2013 #45

                
June 21 has always been my favorite day of the year because it is warm and daylight lasted nearly till 10 p.m. where I grew up.  That meant that our outdoors games of Hide and Seek and Freeze Tag were endless.  My sister Chris’s birthday is this day and as a child I was envious that on her birthday, not mine, we played outside late into the evening and stayed up even later to wind down for the night.  Summer Solstice was magical and all things related to it were like a spell that kept me mesmerized throughout my childhood and I always felt sad when the day ended.  Conversely, I dreaded December 21 and was glad when it was over because it pulled me closer to my summer solstice. 


           
I think of how much has changed over the last five years and just like so many June 21st’s,  the smell of fresh cut grass fills the air and brings back memories of happy times of relaxing summer days  surrounded by nature, and the sounds of children playing as laughter filled the air. 

Today I feel the warm, sultry breeze of a storm that has not yet made up its mind what it wants to do.  The Live Oaks that drape the streets are swaying the in the wind and a romantic song of the air rushing through the trees is beckoning me into an afternoon nap.  I hear children splashing and swimming in their pool as though no storm lurks and my dogs, Taco and Ghost, are chasing squirrels in the yard as they run up into the trees and along the fence line as if they are saying, “Na na na na boo boo!  You can’t catch me!  I’m telling on you!”  And then, just as we did to our own mom as children, they run to the nearest branch over my head and chatter down to me – and yes they make eye contact to make sure I’m listening - and I’m certain they are saying in a squirrel’s whiney voice, “Ghost is chasing meeeeeeee!”

           
And this year the Super Moon will show itself for the first time in 18 years – how ironic - and I have visions of long walks under the stars, basking in the moonlight and drinking in the sweet scent of Ginger and Sweet Olives on Mobile Bay.  I walk down memory lane and think of the summer solstices that I thought would last forever and wish that this one would too, yet when the night ends, I will find myself putting you to bed once again, my Sweet Summer Solstice.  Good night my friend, until our paths meet again.  Happy Summer Solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Several people have told me they commented but they are not showing up for me to moderate. Some are coming up and some are not. Please accept my apologies if I have not acknowledged or published yours. Try again or email me at deatonm80@gmail.com and I will copy and paste your comment.