">

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Two Silhouettes Dancing! Post #67

             
Having a long-distance relationship, Scott and I often texted, Facebooked or emailed.  What I loved the most about our correspondence was the pureness of them.  I realize that many single people are talking through electronic mediums these days, something that often turns out to be less than respectful, or disillusioning, to say the least.  When Scott first approached me, I was skeptical.  Like an overzealous person carrying a gun, it is safe to say I was trigger happy, only my finger was aimed at the ‘delete’ button.  This was a new experience for me and, to be honest, it kind of freaked me out.   But reflecting over our messages, our last time together and the summer to follow, I realize more and more the gift that was given to both Scott and I.  It was truly magical!

            Our messages were full of enchanting pictures that reflected both our hearts and dreams for our lives together.  Scott started it and I was surprised to find out that he loved silhouettes as much as I do.  They are a blank slate that any of us can step into, often telling a story that we, ourselves write, in which we become the main characters.  There was so much we wanted to do together; travel the world, live in both Mobile and Phoenix, take ball room dancing, explore magical caves, trails, and mysterious places.   

Scott weighted about 128 in this picture!

   After he got out of the rehab center following his month-long coma, I flew back to Phoenix on June 23, 2015 to spend three weeks there to help him get re-acclimated.   Over the previous year, particularly in the last couple of months, his weight dropped from about 189 to 123 lbs.  I was shocked at how thin he had gotten since I had been there in April.  He was using a walker and had chronic dizzy spells.  Within days, he was gaining strength.  We had gotten him acupuncture and immediately the dizziness stopped.  Between naps, we ran errands, went grocery shopping and had our morning coffee on his side porch overlooking the desert.  We cooked healthy lunches and dinners and enjoyed that time together.  The second week, Scott often didn’t need his walker and we began – at his insistence – going out to parks and beautiful settings where we would spend time outdoors planning our future.

To his family’s surprise and shock, we pulled up to their Fourth of July barbecue with Scott behind the wheel.  They were elated at his progress and more so, the fact that he was even alive!  After lunch, Scott and I were sitting on the back patio when he proposed.  Without hesitation, I said ‘yes’.  His mom came out and we told her and she excitedly announced it to the family.  All of us were elated, though I could not help but to feel that we had cheated death and in the back of my mind, I was afraid this would be ripped out from under me.       


  That night on our way home, the moon was so huge and bright over the mountain that it resembled the moon in many of our silhouette pictures.  We pulled over, as Scott often did when he saw something beautiful, to take pictures and sat for nearly an hour mesmerized by its beauty!   


The next day, we went to the Hilton Point Resort, which is the equivalent of our Grand Hotel in Point Clear, Alabama, to stay for three nights.  We relaxed at the pools by day and in the evenings had dinner under the moon.   We talked and dreamed of what would be.
.  


The following week I had to return home.  Scott would be coming to see me in September, when he was strong enough to travel.  We were excited and continued to text, email, and Facebook pictures of our shared dreams and we spent long hours on the phone planning our future.  Scott had wanted to get married that fall.  I wanted to wait a year to get the girls through their senior years and not uproot either of them, but we planned a 'secret' wedding for Valentines day 2016 in Sedona.  In retrospect, I realize that while I was being practical, Scott had a keen sense of urgency because he had already met God once and was allowed to come back.  He knew, more than anyone, that our days are numbered and just because we think we have time, it does not mean that we do.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Several people have told me they commented but they are not showing up for me to moderate. Some are coming up and some are not. Please accept my apologies if I have not acknowledged or published yours. Try again or email me at deatonm80@gmail.com and I will copy and paste your comment.